Do you want to know how to remove Ring Doorbell on your own? Don’t worry. In this article, you can learn about the easiest ways to remove the device itself, faceplate, and battery.
Whether you want to remove it to replace it with a new one or repair, the steps and tips mentioned here are useful.
You may also like: What’s The Best Tool to Remove Ring Doorbell?
The Ring Doorbell is an excellent device that provides your home with extra protection. Replacing a traditional doorbell, it can also turn into a speaker and camera or a video streaming device.
Even when you are not at home, you can use most of its features to strengthen your security. All these thanks to the smart app that accompanies the Ring Doorbell. Before we start, it’s good to know more about the different models of Ring Doorbells.
There are Ring Doorbell and Ring Doorbell 2 with a built-in rechargeable battery. Ring Doorbell Elite and Pro, on the other hand, has better specs. However, they need to be hardwired or connected to a doorbell transformer to work.
Newer versions include Ring Doorbell 3 and Ring Doorbell 4 Plus. The first model has added features such as two-way communication with noise cancellation, night vision, and privacy zones. It also has a dual-band Wi-Fi that can run on 2.4 GHz and 5GHz networks.
Ring Doorbell 3 Plus is about the same as Ring Doorbell 3 but with an extra feature. It has Pre-Roll Video, which gives the device an advanced motion detection ability. While an incoming person approaches, Ring Doorbell can already detect them.
It is great to have such a brilliant device. But at some point, you will need to remove it. Maybe it got damaged and isn’t working anymore. Perhaps you want to upgrade to a higher model. Either way, it is good to learn to remove Ring Doorbell on your own.
Why Would You Want to Know How to Remove Ring Doorbell?
Ring Doorbells are powered by a battery, at least most models. The battery can last 6 -12 months. After this, you need to charge it. When your battery finally runs out, don’t you need to know to remove Ring Doorbell’s cover to replace or recharge it? Recharging is one of the many possible reasons why you would want to remove your Ring Doorbell.
In any case, below are the instructions on how to do that.
How to Remove Ring Doorbell with a Screwdriver
Removing the Ring Doorbell with this method is a bit problematic, particularly when it comes with the screws. Still, here are the steps to remove a Ring Doorbell fastened with screws, using a screwdriver.
- Look for the included screwdriver in the product box of Ring Doorbell and use it to remove the security screws.
- Now, unmount the Ring Doorbell from the mounting bracket. You may need a bit of force to unmount the device, but be careful not to damage the mounting bracket.
- If you mounted the bracket on wood or vinyl, you could remove it through the screws. It’s unfortunate, but it will leave unsightly holes on your wall.
- If you mounted it on brick, concrete or stucco wall, you must have used plastic anchors that are incredibly annoying to remove. First, unscrew the screws. After that, put the screwdriver underneath the anchors to force them out.
There you go. It is not a fun task at all to remove a Ring Doorbell this way. But if you screwed your device, which is great in terms of security, taking out the Ring Doorbell will surely be a pain. What if you don’t screw it instead? What if you don’t use any tool to remove the device?
How to replace and charge Ring Video Doorbell 2 battery
How to Remove Ring Doorbell Pro
How to Remove Ring Doorbell Without Any Tools
This method of removing a Ring Doorbell is for those who used the alternative installation process. In this installation, you also had the same items – the smart doorbell and 6000 mAH battery. You also have to download the dedicated app and connect the device to your Wi-Fi to set it up.
Usually, you have to screw the Ring Doorbell to the wall to complete the process. In this method, however, you did not use screws but permanent outdoor mounting tape. Although it’s not the same with screws, a permanent tape can safely still stick your device to the wall. By using this, you have glued the doorbell to the wall, which may also be difficult to remove.
To remove a Ring Doorbell fastened by an outdoor tape, follow these steps:
- Inspect the fastened device to see how you can remove it safely from the wall.
- When you remove the entire Ring Doorbell, remember not to grab it with your hand and pull. Otherwise, you may break the casing. You could also ruin the wall.
- Take a lever with a dull edge. Use it to pull the device slowly off the wall towards yourself.
- Do it carefully, making sure you don’t leave your wall and Ring Doorbell damaged.
If you used the permanent tape method when you installed the device, removing it is easier this way. Not that you can simply take out the Ring Doorbell, but you will not have to loosen each screw, which takes a bit of time. Similarly, you don’t have to worry that you may misplace them. With this method, you can remove the device with minimum effort.
How to Remove Ring Doorbell Faceplate
Besides learning how to remove Ring Doorbell, you may also want to know how to get the faceplate or cover off. It is something you would want to know in case you need to fix the doorbell or simply want to swap the cover for a different color. All you need is the screwdriver provided in the product box, and you can do this without a problem.
Here are the instructions:
- Using the provided screwdriver, detach the security screws at the faceplate’s bottom. Insert the tip of the screwdriver and turn counterclockwise until the screw comes out.
- When you have removed all security screws, push the bottom part of the cover until it becomes loose. Place both thumbs at the bottom of the cover while the index and middle fingers rest on the front. While in that position, push the faceplate until it snaps free.
- If you cannot loosen the faceplate using only your thumbs, you can try prying it with something flat, like a butter knife. Put it underneath the cover’s bottom edge and push it up. Do be careful in doing this because it might ruin the cover, if not the Ring Doorbell itself.
- Once loose, pull it away at once from the doorbell’s body. After removing the cover, you can now see what’s inside Ring Doorbell. Remember not to let the faceplate fall.
- If you plan to replace the faceplate you removed, check the plastic hook inside the cover first, aligning it to the corresponding hole on the doorbell’s body. Place the hook with the cover at a 45-degree angle then snap the cover back.
- Replace the screws and tighten them. Place the screws back at the cover’s bottom, making sure it is tight.
That’s all there is in removing the faceplate of a Ring Doorbell. It’s great to know this if you want to exchange the color of the cover. There are several colors of faceplates available, and all of them are interchangeable. There are even silicone skins you can use to protect your device from the elements.
How to Remove Ring Doorbell’s Battery
In addition to the faceplate, it is also useful to know how to get the battery out. In that case, keep the following instructions in mind. Also, remember that this not apply to Ring doorbells with a charting cable at the back.
- Using the Ring screwdriver, remove the screw at the bottom of the cover. Turn the screw counterclockwise and set the screw aside after taking it out.
- Push the faceplate off with your thumbs or pry it free. By removing the cover, you can access the battery of the Ring Doorbell.
- After removing the cover, put it somewhere safe.
- Now that you can see the body of the device, look for the black tab. You can see the battery at the bottom of the device. At the top of it is a rectangular tab, which you need to press down with your index finger. While doing this, use your thumb and middle finger to slide off the battery.
- When the battery starts sliding off, you can release the black tab.
- After you are done charging, slide the battery back until the tab snaps back in place. That means the battery is secured inside. You can also lock the cover back now and replace the screws again.
It’s all simple and easy. But it is even better if you have a backup battery. With that, you can quickly replace the battery you have taken out and charge it. You don’t have to wait before you can use your Ring Doorbell again if you do it this way.
How to remove Ring Doorbell Battery Cover and Battery
YouTube also has a lot of videos on removing Ring Doorbell. You can check them out for more reference.
All these instructions somehow make the Ring Doorbell hard to use. But that’s not true. The steps and tips mentioned above are all easy to follow. They are not overly complicated that you need to be tech-savvy or handy with tools. All you need is the included star-shaped screwdriver of the product, and you are good to go.
These are all great help. What if your Ring Doorbell stopped working because its battery depleted? What if the faceplate got ruined? Knowing how to remove Ring Doorbell can save you from unnecessary trouble and money. With the simple instructions in this article, we hope you can have a fantastic experience using your Ring Doorbell.
- How to Remove Ring Doorbell Without Any Tools, Techjunkie.com, October 15, 2019
- How to Remove a Ring Doorbell Cover, Wikihow.com, December 16, 2019
Image Source: By Steve Garfield