Learning how to fix your Ecobee depends on what’s wrong with it. Is the camera itself not working? Is the cam offline? Is the app crashing? Do you know how to specifically reset an Ecobee camera? Learn this and more through this guide.
The Ecobee Smart Cam uses a 180°-degree full picture feature and it’s able to connect your phone and other smart devices in order to help keep your home safe and secure. The smartphone can be used as its remote control through the assistance of an app.
With that in mind, let’s talk about ecobee troubleshooting. How do you fix Ecobee when it malfunctions?
Why is my live feed reporting that the Ecobee cam is offline? How to Fix!
If your voice-controlled Ecobee SmartCam is offline then do the following:
- Reset the App: Try resetting the Ecobee app. This might fix your issue. If the problem persists and our cam continues to report it’s offline, check the following troubleshooting tips below.
- Make Sure You Have Internet: Make sure it’s not an ISP problem and your router is active. Or you shouldn’t connect so many devices on the same Home Wi-Fi in light of the bandwidth requirements of your Ecobee SmartCam.
- Power-Cycle the SmartCam Itself: If it’s an issue with your smart camera, power-cycle it (unplug its power then plug it back in after a minute). The LEDs of your Ecobee SmartCat should glow white briefly, which indicates the power has been restored.
- Might Be a Power Issue: After power restoration, see if the camera ends up online on your app. If the LED indicators don’t light up, check the main power source, to make sure it’s getting enough power to the Ecobee SmartCam.
- Contact the Support Team: If the power is on but the cam doesn’t light up or if the abovementioned troubleshooting tips don’t work, please contact the Ecobee support team for more details and info.
Why is my live feed only showing a spinning circle and grey screen? How to Fix!
Access the Ecobee SmartCam itself to fix this issue involving gray or grey screens. Now do the following steps:
- Check Internet Connection: Check the stability if your smartphone’s Internet connection. The connection will impact the ability of your app to load the livestream whether it’s using mobile data or (preferably) using the same Home Wi-Fi your cam is linked to.
- Restart the App or Phone: You can fix gray screens by restarting the Ecobee app and see if its relaunched has fixed everything. Otherwise, restart or reboot your phone itself.
- Power-Cycle the Camera: Unplug your SmartCam then plug it back in then take note of the status lights when it’s turned on.
- Check the Status Light: Check the LED indicators at the front of your Ecobee SmartCam. To know what each color or flashing light means, check the chart below.
What does Ecobee SmartCam’s different status lights mean?
The following items showcase what the different status light colors for the Ecobee cam mean.
- White Lights:
- 4 solid lights in white: The device is undergoing charging status.
- 4 flashing white lights: There’s a pairing time out.
- Amber Lights:
- 4 solid amber lights: The SmartCam is ready to pair up with your device app.
- Solid amber lights flash 3 times: Pairing mode is successful or completed.
- Amber light moves from left to right: The server connection is gone or lost.
- 4 amber lights go back and forth: Device is still trying to pair or can’t find the connection.
- Green Lights:
- Flashing green light: Your Ecobee SmarCam is recording.
Solid green light: You can watch live footage now.
- Blue Lights:
- Solid blue light: The Ecobee Alexa is waiting and listening for your commands.
- Pulsing blue light: Alexa is speaking, setting a reminder, or adjusting the timer.
- Blue lights move back and forth: Ecobee Alexa is processing your commands.
- 1 steady blue light: Your camera is ready for streaming mode.
- Red Lights:
- 4 solid red lights: SmartCam is in mute mode.
- 4 red lights where 3 lights are flashing: Alexa has encountered an error.
- 1 red light: Alexa is recording or streaming.
- Other Lights:
- Slowly pulsing orange light: There’s a notification.
- No light or blank: Your camera is in idle mode or “Do Not Disturb” mode is turned on.
Why does my video feed look pink during the day or off at night? How to Fix!
If your Ecobee SmartCam is displaying pink-tinted footage during the daytime or it’s not working at all during the nighttime (black screen), follow the following troubleshooting steps.
- Manually turn off the smart camera with voice control.
- Reconnect the power to the cam then check if that has fixed the footage.
- If power-cycling your Ecobee for a few tries hasn’t fixed the footage issue, then it might be a camera module issue.
- Contact customer service to replace the device if it’s in warranty. Find an Ecobee cam technician to replace the camera module if it’s off-warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the frequently asked questions regarding the Ecobee SmartCam.
How much bandwidth does the Ecobee require?
Your Ecobee cam should get a minimum upload bandwidth of 2Mbps on a constant wireless connection for the best results. This will ensure you’ll get the most responsive device that uses voice control to stream live feeds, use two-way talk, take snapshots, or record videos.
What happens if the camera loses power?
If your SmartCam by Ecobee loses power then you won’t be able to use it. It’s not like other cameras that can do certain things without power or on emergency battery power. It won’t connect to Wi-Fi, send video clips, track motion, or view the live feed.
After it turns on again, it should reconnect to the Internet automatically while keeping its recording settings regardless.
Can you use Ecobee SmartCam outdoors?
No. Ecobee SmartCam is designed as an indoor camera that operates between 0°C to 40°C. It can’t take the hotness or coldness of the outdoors. It will succumb to the elements rather easily so keep it indoors or inside your home only.
How do I reset my ecobee camera?
Press and hold the top two buttons on the SmartCamera with voice control at the same time, until you hear the voice menu, then release the buttons. Wait for the voice menu to say “Reset to factory settings”.
Does the Ecobee have a camera?
Smart thermostat maker Ecobee has announced its first indoor security camera, the $179 SmartCamera. The device is actually just one piece of a new home security platform, which the company calls Haven.
How does Ecobee camera work?
Best Wireless Security Camera? ecobee SmartCamera Review!
Does the Ecobee camera have sound?
While the camera is pricey, it’s less expensive than the only slightly smarter Nest Cam IQ Indoor, which is also a smart speaker (it has Google Assistant baked in) and adds facial recognition and sound alerts (Ecobee doesn’t have any sound detection alerts and Face Recognition is only available through HomeKit), but …
How do I pair my Ecobee camera?
How To Set Up Ecobee Smart Camera
How do I set up my Ecobee Smart camera?
To start the setup process, open the Ecobee app, and tap the green “+” symbol in the top right of the screen. The next screen will ask what product you are adding to your home. Tap “Camera.” You will then be asked to ensure your camera is ready to connect.
Can you use Ecobee camera without subscription?
The Ecobee SmartCamera isn’t a top-shelf security camera, but it does have some great attributes—including Alexa integration. But you’ll need a subscription to unlock the most useful features related to its core function.
What is Ecobee SmartCamera?
The Ecobee SmartCamera is a versatile Wi-Fi-enabled indoor camera that offers built-in Alexa functionality, digital pan and tilt, and interoperability with Ecobee’s Haven home monitoring platform.
Is Ecobee owned by Amazon?
Amazon is backing Ecobee, a smart thermostat company, just days after buying Ring. Energy Impact Partners and Amazon Alexa Fund are among the investors in a $62 million round of funding for Ecobee. Toronto-based Ecobee makes smart thermostats that compete with Nest and Honeywell products.
Is Ecobee making an outdoor camera?
You need to pay $5 per month to access a 30-day camera backup. It doesn’t call the police by itself (that might be OK for you). Ecobee doesn’t yet make outdoor cameras or smoke detectors.
Does Ecobee have a motion sensor?
Yes, the ecobee4 thermostat has a built-in motion sensor. Out of the box you’ll get a new wireless room sensor and the ecobee4 acts as a room sensor. So, you’ll have 2 sensors for temperature averaging, sensor participation and to use with Smart Home/Away.
Does Ecobee have a siren?
Ecobee’s camera and its smart thermostat both have sirens onboard.
Does Ecobee have a doorbell?
Ecobee introduced a new device category in March when it launched the Ecobee Switch Plus light switch. Given that Nest’s current lineup includes thermostats, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, smart doorbells, security cameras, a security system and a smart lock, Ecobee has a lot of ground to cover.
Does Ecobee learn like nest?
The ecobee does not have learning capabilities like the Nest. Instead, your input schedule changes manually. So, even if you are regularly changing the temperature at the same time every day, ecobee’s schedule won’t adapt. Instead, you would have to go in and change the schedule yourself.
Does Ecobee smart camera work with Google home?
Once the pairing process is complete, Google Assistant will integrate with all of your connected ecobee4, ecobee3 Lite, or ecobee3 thermostats, as well as ecobee Switches and ecobee room sensors.
Does ecobee camera work with HomeKit?
Starting today, the ecobee SmartCamera supports HomeKit Secure Video, enabling you to securely store activity detected by your cameras in iCloud. View live and recorded video from your SmartCamera in the Apple Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, and share your Home app with others so they can view too.
What is ecobee haven?
TORONTO – April 15, 2020 – ecobee Inc. today announced Haven, the first truly intelligent home monitoring platform that eliminates the need for keypads, programming and single-use devices. With the touch of a button, ecobee users can upgrade their SmartThermostat and SmartSensors into a frictionless solution.
Do Ecobee door sensors work without haven?
Without haven all they can do is let you know if the door is opened or closed. And even then you have to check the EcoBee app because you won’t get a notification otherwise. Same with the motion/occupancy sensor without Haven, you can’t even use it.
How much is an Ecobee subscription?
$5/month on Standard tier and $10/month on Complete tier after free trial. No commitment. Plan automatically renews after trial until cancelled. SmartThermostat with voice control or ecobee 3 lite paired with a sensor required.
Does Arlo work with Ecobee?
Arlo Video Doorbell is not designed to work specifically with Ecobee, but it does work with Alexa.
Is Ecobee a Chinese company?
Ecobee is a Canadian home automation company that makes smart thermostats, temperature and occupancy sensors, smart light switches, smart cameras, and contact sensors.
Who is Ecobee owned by?
Toronto-based smart home thermostat startup Ecobee is being acquired by Generac Holdings for $770 million, the companies announced Monday. The acquisition is expected to close in the fourth quarter.
The Last Word
The Ecobee SmartCam has all the important features that make the Ring, Nest, Arlo, or Wyze cameras so in-demand. It offers motion detection that focuses on people-sized targets to avoid false alarms. They also keep people in the frame even as they move around,.
Therefore, it’s reassuring to know what its many status light combinations mean and how to fix the camera when it’s offline or have issues with its multitude of features.
- “Ecobee Camera Troubleshooting“, PartsXP.com, March 30, 2022